Washington State New Dealer Education
Independent Auto (Used Car) Dealerships have been a part of Washington State since before the 1950s. Consumers that want a good quality vehicle without purchasing a new vehicle from franchise dealerships will come to your location.
Establishing an Independent Auto Dealership in Washington State is a very in-depth and labor-intensive process. The Association is here to help prospective dealers navigate with as little stress as possible. It can be overwhelming, costly, and time-consuming if done improperly.
The initial step to becoming an independent auto dealer is attending the New Dealer Education class before attempting the Dealer’s Checklist provided below to ensure everything is done correctly. Individuals do not need to have any portion of their business established to take this course.
NEW DEALER EDUCATION
The New Dealer Education class is a required 8-hour course that teaches potential dealers how to build their new company, regulations, and requirements in the State of Washington to buy, sell, and trade vehicles on how to grow your business once established RCW 46.70.079.
Register for a New Dealer Education Class
- Overview of types of dealership endorsements
- Establishment of Business
- Secretary of State requirements
- Department of Revenue requirements
- IRS.GOV requirements
- Department of Licensing requirements
- Bond/Insurance requirements
- Property zoning and leasing requirements
- Banking requirements
- State and Federal guidelines and rules
- FINCEN (FORM 8300)
- Truth in Lending
- Advertising Do's and Don'ts
- Daily operations and paperwork for dealership sales
- Tribal Sales
- Out-of-State Delivery
- Best Practices
And much more…
Frequently Asked Questions
New Dealer Education is a requirement by the State of Washington to teach prospective dealers the laws, forms and requirements for creating a successful dealership as required by RCW 46.70.079 Section 1a.
Requirements to attend New Dealer Education
- Attendee must be a Corporate officer, partner, or sole owner of the business, and their names must appear on the Master Business Application once filed with Washington State.
- No attendance by proxy is permitted.
- Only 1 (one) of the corporate officers or partners need to attend
- Attendee must be on time and stay to receive the certificate of completion
- Attendees must attend this class when creating a new Entity or UBI with the state
- Registration closes at 5:00 pm the day before the class when the login information is transmitted.
- Maximum attendance is 40 individuals. If the class is unavailable before the class date, it's at capacity, and individuals must register for the next class.
- All Registrations are processed online, and a copy is emailed to the attendee when completed properly.
- Each completed registration is for one seat only, additional seats must be purchased before scheduled class days.
At the end of the class, attendees will receive a certificate that is a required step toward having a license issued.
- Washington State requires that individuals who apply for the Motor Vehicle Dealer license must be a resident of Washington State. The Department of Licensing will not approve an out-of-state residency.
- Must be 18 years of age and have no felony criminal history for 5 years
- Attendees of this class will be required to be on the Master Business License once established.
- New Dealer Education will be required if a new UBI or business structure is required for an existing dealership.
All registrations for each class are done online through the calendar provided. Each person that attends must be registered for the class. Once the registration is completed, you will receive a copy of the confirmation in your email.
The Association will help prospective dealers establish the dealership by speaking with the class instructor to review your paperwork before submission or answering questions. The Association is here to help get you the business license and motor vehicle endorsements with as few issues.